A general open market was held in the Royal Square with the first recorded reference of ‘Le Marché’ being in the late 1500’s.
The filthy conditions of ‘Le Marché’ become a source of so much complaint which led to the purchase of a plot of marshy ground as a new site - where Central Market sits today.
The Market was completed in 1803 with an adjoining fish market. There is evidence that the cattle market also moved from the harbour site to one in close proximity.
The fish market found a new home in Cattle St then, having been restored in 1873 & 1936, was demolished in 1973 and rebuilt as we see it today.
The general Market was demolished in 1881 and the new Central Market was opened on 9th September 1882.